Why am I being charged for installs even though my campaign is paused?
- Chartboost ads are cached for 24 hours. Cached ads can still be served to users for 24 hours after a campaign has been paused.
- Chartboost uses a 21-day attribution window. After clicking on your ad, a user has a 21-day window to download and install your app. You are charged for installs that are delivered during this period.
- Adding together the 24-hour caching and the 21-day attribution window, you might see charges for installs 22 days after pausing your advertisement campaign.
How long does it take to approve an advertising campaign?
It takes 24 to 48 hours to approve an advertising campaign, depending on the campaign. ▲ Back to top
What bid types does Chartboost offer?
With Chartboost, you can bid in several ways:
- CPI (cost per install) bidding lets you specify the maximum amount you’re willing to pay for installs resulting from clicks on ads promoting your game.
- CPM (cost per thousand impressions) bidding lets you pay based on the number of times your ad is shown.
CPM and CPI bid type campaigns are available in every creative type.▲ Back to top
How much should I bid for installs? How much should I spend on a campaign?
- Start bidding aggressively, then adjust your bid based on the amount of traffic you receive.
- It’s more cost-effective to adjust bids down rather than up, since low bids negatively impact your eCPM.
- Optimize your campaign to target the right users and get the most from your budget.
- Learn how to avoid going over budget ▶
- Learn more about bid types ▶
- Got a gazillion advertising campaigns? Adjust their bids simultaneously! Go to Bulk Edit in your dashboard, select the campaigns you want to edit, and enter their new bid value.
Can I use Chartboost to target Android users in China?
Yes! Here are some things you should know:
- If your app does not have a Google Play URL, you must use a creative URL when uploading creatives to an advertising campaign. These creative URLs work for all bid types.
- Advertisers must still enter a marketing URL in the advertising campaign. Feel free to use the marketing URL for Buster’s Boost, the greatest game ever. Whatever marketing URL you use, the creative URL will override it.
- If your app is available on multiple local Chinese app stores, you will need to create separate targeted campaigns using device targeting for each app store. You will also need to upload separate creative sets with separate creative URLs.
▲ Back to top
How can I acquire more users?
How can I avoid going over budget?
- Optimize your campaigns to target users better and maximize your potential reach. This helps you get the most out of your budget.
- Set up email notifications to let you know when you’re approaching your budget limit.
- Daily budgets under $500 are often exhausted very quickly or even exceeded.
- Spending more than you’ve added to your account will result in a negative balance. You won’t be able to advertise again until you add more funds to your account.
Chartboost has a 21-day attribution window for installs. If a user who has clicked on your ad boots up your app for the first time within 21 days, the cost will be deducted from your advertising balance, even if your CPI campaign has already stopped serving impressions.
Chartboost has a 7-day attribution window for clicks. If a user has clicked on your ad, the cost will be deducted from your advertising balance up to 7 days after your campaign has already stopped serving impressions.
What is eCPM? Why does it matter as an advertiser?
eCPM is the crucial metric our system uses to decide which advertising campaign to serve to a given publishing campaign. Because Chartboost advertisers bid per click or install (instead of per impression), Chartboost eCPM is a combination of a campaign’s Install Rate (IR), Click-Through-Rate (CTR), and bid that reflects the overall competitiveness of the campaign. So the better your ads perform, the more high-quality traffic you receive. More optimization information ▲ Back to top
Can you estimate how many clicks or installs my game will receive at a certain bid?
Because our network is dynamic – new developers join every day – it’s difficult to predict. Remember that the traffic you receive also depends on your eCPM (a combination of IR, CTR, and bid), so it’s not as simple as starting with a given bid and expecting a set number of clicks/installs. We can work with you to optimize your campaigns, and you can also use your account’s reporting tools to identify and respond to trends over time. ▲ Back to top
How can my advertising campaign get more clicks, installs, or completed views?
After our system retrieves a pool of advertising campaigns that match the conditions set by a publishing campaign, it serves the best-performing advertising campaign to the publishing game. We measure performance with the eCPM metric, ordinarily defined as the effective cost per thousand impressions served (eCPM = Money spent or earned / Impressions * 1000). But because Chartboost advertisers bid per click or install (instead of per impression), Chartboost eCPM is a combination of a campaign’s Install Rate (IR), Click-Through-Rate (CTR), and bid that reflects the overall competitiveness of the campaign. Bottom line: The better your ads perform, the more high-quality traffic you receive. For tips you should use to boost your performance and maximize ROI, visit the optimization section of our advertising documentation here. ▲ Back to top
What is view-through attribution (VTA)?
View-through attribution (VTA) allows you to register installs that are seen when a user installs your app within a short timeframe after watching a video ad, even if the user did not click on the ad.
- Capture the true reach of your UA campaigns versus traditional last-click methods.
- More installs means a higher eCPM, which can help your campaigns become more competitive within the Chartboost network.
- A completed view is counted when a user watches at least 90% of the video ad.
What if I can’t find my game in the “App to Promote” dropdown on the Campaign Edit page?
There are a few things you’ll need to do before you can select your game in the App to Promote dropdown:
- Check that the iTunes URL, Market URL, or Amazon URL field on the App Settings page (shown below) is complete and points to your game’s store listing:
- Be sure you’ve uploaded advertising assets to promote your game. More information
What is your install attribution window?
To attribute an install to your advertising campaign, a user must boot up your game within 21 days of clicking on your ad. We log a bootup each time our system receives an initialization call from your game, so be sure your code makes this call each time your app becomes active. ▲ Back to top
Can I change my bids by publisher? Can I target a specific game category or publisher?
Does Chartboost support rewarded installs?
Sorry, we don’t support rewarded installs. ▲ Back to top
How does iOS Limit Ad Tracking affect my campaigns?
- Ads will not show on iOS 10+ devices if the publisher is running Chartboost iOS SDK below version 6.5. Download the latest Chartboost iOS SDK now!
- Additionally, apps being promoted in advertising campaigns must use a compatible third-party attribution service. If the advertising app is not using a compatible third-party attribution service, it will not be able to deliver ads to iOS 10 devices with Limit Ad Tracking, even if the host publishing app is using Chartboost iOS SDK 6.5 or above. This also applies to cross-promotion campaigns.
How do I know which apps to filter from my campaigns?
We highly recommend letting Chartboost decide which apps appear in your campaign. Follow these instructions only if you need to filter apps for business reasons (e.g. competing or similar apps).Here’s how to figure out which apps to filter using Microsoft Excel:
- Go to the Campaign Analytics panel in your dashboard.
- Select Campaigns ▼ from the dropdown under Filter By Campaign Or App.
- Use the text field to search for and select the campaign you want to analyze.
- Select a timeframe from the Time Range dropdown. We recommend Last 7 Days.
- Under the Group By dropdown, change Campaign ▼ to App ▼
- Click the refresh button to generate your report.
- Click the download button to export your data as a TSV file. Learn more about report formatting ▶
- Open the TSV file in Microsoft Excel.
- Select all of the data in the sheet, then click Data > Pivot Table from the top menu.
- Add To App Name to Row Labels. Add Sum of Impressions, Sum of Clicks, Sum of Installs, and Sum of Money Earned to Values.
- Calculate the eCPM in column F using the formula
=E5/B5 * 1000in cell F5, then extending that formula into the rest of the column. You can also format this whole column as currency to help with readability.
- eCPM is the most important, but you may also want to consider the click-through rate (clicks/impressions) and the install rate (installs/clicks). Not all apps track installs, so don’t be alarmed if some show 0 installs.
- Your average overall eCPM will be at the bottom right of your new table. Copy this pivot table into another worksheet and sort by eCPM to easily see which apps have the lowest relative eCPM and should be filtered from campaigns.
- If you’re thinking about filtering an app, consider the share of impressions it delivers for your app or receives in your app. For example, an app might be slightly below your average eCPM but serving a large percentage of your impressions; you may not want to exclude this app from your campaign. If you filter too many impressions, you might have problems filling your ad inventory. On the other hand, it’s probably not worth filtering a whole bunch of apps with only a handful of impressions.
- Once you’ve figured out which apps to filter, click on the two links below to learn how to filter them from your campaigns.
- Calculate the eCPM in column F using the formula
We recommend that you do not exceed 1,500 apps filtered in a single campaign.
Any changes made to the dashboard may take up to 30 minutes to go live.
If you filter out an app and a user has already cached an ad for that app on their device, that ad can still be shown for up to 24 hours.▲ Back to top
How long should I keep filters applied?
Because things change often in the network, we recommend removing filters every few weeks, reassessing which games offer low eCPMs, then excluding that updated list. You may be surprised at the difference between the two groups! ▲ Back to top
You might also like…
- Advertising campaigns: Everything you need to show off your games to the best possible audience
- How much should I bid for installs? How much should I spend on a campaign?
- What bid types does Chartboost offer?
- Server-to-server (S2S) tracking
- Chartboost video ads
Last Updated on April 13, 2021